Can I get a work permit after a DUI? - DUI Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I get a work permit after a DUI?

Can I still get work permit even after DUI? Will DUI affect my chances of obtaining a work permit?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC

If you need specific legal advice for your particular circumstances, I encourage you to privately consult with a lawyer. If you are charged with an offense and cannot afford to pay for your own defense, the court may appoint you an attorney payable at the public's expense. You have a right to counsel. It depends on the conditions of your permit program.

Answer By Shawn Kollie
The Short Law Group, P.C.

In Oregon you may be eligible for a Hardship/Probationary permit during your suspension for a DUI. The factors depend on the number of prior convictions, as well as Implied Consent Rules. Contact a DUI Lawyer to discuss how we can help you to drive to and from work or to and from treatment.

The Jordan Law Firm

You can get a work permit after a DUI, but it will affect your chances of it depending on the your prior convictions and past history. In addition, the severity of the charges with the DUI can impact you receiving a work permit.

Under some circumstances, a work permit could be available. You must apply to the Driver Control Bureau to determine if your case will be permitted.

you probably can get a work permit, in Illinois, after getting a DUI, however, you must get supervision or a dismissal on the DUI, and complete a drug and alcohol evaluation and remedial education course, and attend any counselling as proscribed by the evaluator. You will also be required to install a BAID machine in your vehicle, which will register any trace of alcohol in your system, and disable the car if you have had any alcohol. Note, if revoked after a straight conviction for the DUI case in chief, your chance of getting any kind of relief diminishes greatly.

I know of no reason that you would not be able to obtain a work permit based on a DUI conviction. If you are asking whether you can receive a permit to drive to work and home following a DUI conviction or a suspension based on a DUI arrest, when your driving license is suspended, the anwer is no. If your license is suspended you are not allowed to drive for any reason.

Answer By Steve Freeborn

I would have to know more about your DUI. If it is a commercial license "no". If it is your first time conviction, you may be eligible AFTER a 30 day suspension. If you refused to submit to a breath test, then "no". If you have had multiple DUIs, No. To best determine your situation, hire an attorney.

Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law

A work permit (limited license) is available to people convicted of DUI. Minnesota has recently adopted an "ignition interlock" program that dictates conditions upon which a person convicted of DUI can legally drive following either an "implied consent license revocation" or a license revocation associated with a DUI conviction. The rules differ depending upon various factors including prior offenses or alcohol related license revocations. It is not feasible to answer your question fully without knowing your particular circumstances.

Normally on a first offense you get an interlock to drive. On a second or subsequent you have to wait at least 45 days. DMV used to issue work permit on all first, but none after that.

Answer By Jason M. Glass
Glass Defense Firm

There are no work permits in WV.

Answer Applies to: West Virginia