Can I get probation on a drug possession charge? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I get probation on a drug possession charge?

I was pulled over by the cops and they found under a gram of cocaine in my car. Can I get probation when I show up in court?

Answer By Michael Palumbo

The short answer is yes. The long answer is because the crime occurred in a motor vehicle, you need counsel well versed in traffic law. We can help you and can be reached toll free if you contact us.

Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan

Yes, but you also may be eligible for drug diversion which would result in a dismissal if you attend classes and comply with the other conditions of the program.

Answer By Lacy Fields
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC

Probably. It will depend on your criminal history and the circumstances of your arrest.

Harris Law Firm

The presumptive sentence for the charge you describe is probation, however; I would guess the court will be reluctant to allow you to plea guilty and be placed on probation at your first court appearance without speaking to an attorney first. Pleading guilty to possession of cocaine is a felony, which can have a huge impact on parts of your life that you may not expect. I highly recommend you talk to a lawyer.

Answer By Seth J. Bloom
Bloom Legal, LLC

Every case is unique and this will depend upon the specific details of your case. If you are interested in receiving a free case evaluation to determine your options, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page.

Answer By Thomas J. Tomko

There are several options in a drug case like you describe. many of them can result in your not going to jail. It will depend on your prior record and other facts of the incident. There may even be a way to keep the matter off your record and to avoid driver license sanctions, (which are imposed after conviction in all Michigan drug cases, regardless of whether a car was involved). You should consult with your attorney who represents you in the case. If you need representation, you may contact me to discuss your hiring this office to represent you. I look forward to your call.

Answer By F.W. Woods Jr.
The Woods Law Firm

Yes, but only if you hire a good lawyer will you get the best results. Don't leave your freedom to chance.

Answer By Craig Andersen

That depends on what your criminal record has on it. If this is a first offense, you may get diversion or a no jail sentence with probation. You should start treatment right now because you will impress the court but handling your situation and your addiction without the court ordering you. The other benefit would be that you would no longer be funding violent Mexican drug cartels that are killing thousands of people.

That depends on facts not hear. Try for a PC 1000 or prop. 36 deal and if you finish the pro probation you will be ok.

Answer By Phil Hache

If it is a possession charge, particularly if it is your first, you may be eligible for PC 1000 diversion or Prop 36, which is basically allows someone to do a drug program as opposed to jail time. Being put on probation is also something that can happen. You should speak to an attorney in more detail about your case. Feel free to call me if you would like.