Can I get probation for feloy theft? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I get probation for feloy theft?

I am being charged with felony theft, this is my first offense. Will I have to do jail time, I turned myself in and have cooperated with the law officials.

Answer By Seth J. Bloom
Bloom Legal, LLC

This will depend upon the specific circumstances surrounding your case. It is conceivable that you may be able to negotiate a deal in which your sentence is suspended or deferred and you avoid jail time in return for entering a certain plea and submitting to probation, etc. You should not accept any plea deal without first consulting with an attorney to make sure that you end up with the best possible result given the circumstances. There are many factors that will affect your future ability to have the charge expunged and clear up your record which an attorney will know how to navigate.

Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre

The answer would depend on the jurisdiction. In Oregon, where I practice, people with no prior criminal history typically only receive probation and short jail sentences for felony theft charges. Prison sentences are usually only for particularly serious cases or repeat offenders.

Answer By Thomas J. Tomko

The question in Michigan would be answered by the Sentencing Guidelines fo ryour offense, taking into account your prior record and the factors about the offense. To answer your question directly, you would need to have your case reveiwed by your attorney who can advise you of what range of sentences the Judge can impose and what is likely. In some cases, a plea agreement can be reached at the time of a plea. In your case, the cooperation with the police could help favorably influence the Court at sentencing. It depends on the offense and the Court your are in. However, your cooperation may also amount to admissions which support your conviction. Once again, this should be reviewed by and discussed with your attorney to determine the impact in your case. I hope that this was helpful.

Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman

It is an option. Depending on how much you took and whether it was recovered probation would be a likely outcome especially since you cooperated.

Answer Applies to: Montana

Answer By Jules Fiani
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law

You could get probation for felony theft.

LynchLaw

Yes. If you are convicted you will be placed on probation. I can't tell you if you will have to do any time. That decision is up to the sentencing Judge and will depend on many factors such as history and facts of the case. Good luck.

Most people on a first offense receive some sort of probation which can involve jail. Cooperation may help limit the penalty.

Probation usually includes some jail time as a condition. You should hire an attorney to help you.

Kansas sentencing guidelines determine the penalty for every felony charge depending upon the severity level of the charge coupled with the defendant's personal criminal history. Usually felony theft is presumptively a probation result if a person has little or no prior criminal history.

It is possible to get probation. This would depend on the facts on the crime and your attorney.