Can I get my car back after it was seized? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I get my car back after it was seized?

How long can they keep my car? It was taken in a drug warrant but nothing was in the car. I'm in California.

Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan

Depends upon the reason it was seized.

Answer By Joseph A. Katz

It depends and varies. Contact the police and try to negotiate with them to release the car. It is not really evidence at this point based upon the information you provided, since no controlled substances were found in the car.

Answer By Dennis Roberts

First try to get it back yourself by going to the police who should give you a note to get it released from the impound lot - but you will have to pay towing and storage which will be really expensive and getting more expensive every day you delay. If you had a lawyer he/she should be able to go before a Judge and get an order requiring them to return the car to you - but you will still have to pay towing and storage. Yes, I know, it is fucked. What else is new when dealing with the pigs.

Answer By Ardalon Fakhimi
California Criminal Defense Center

If your car was seized as evidence of a crime, then it can be held indefinitely until the criminal matter and or investigation is concluded. More facts are needed. Please contact our office to get the specifics.

Answer By Terry Nelson

You can file a formal written request for return with the police agency involved, and if that is refused, you can file an appropriate motion with the court. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.

Answer By Gabriel Dorman
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman

Whether or not you can get your car back from the police ultimately depends on if the car is being held as evidence in the case and/or if it is needed as part of the investigation. Good luck.