Can I get help with bills if I was injured at a friend's house? - Accident Law Questions and Answers-

Free Answers to your Legal Questions by Lawyers.
ask »

Can I get help with bills if I was injured at a friend's house?

I was at my friend's house and was playing with his dog when I tripped and fell breaking my wrist in 2 places. I had to have surgery on it. I have physical therapy on 3 times a week. My question is is there anything I can do to help pay the bills?

Answer By Dan Woska
A. Daniel Woska & Associates, P.C.
Contact this Attorney Now

In a situation involving a friend you need to hire a contingent fee lawyer and arrange a meeting with your friend and his lawyer.

Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 8/31/2011

Answer By Andrew Velonis
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Contact this Attorney Now

Find out if there is a medical payments provision of his homeowners insurance policy. The insurance people call this "med-pay". It is not required, but if he has that coverage, they will pay for medical expenses (usually with a very small limit) regardless of fault.

Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/29/2011

Answer By Reza Torkzadeh
The Torkzadeh Law Firm
Contact this Attorney Now

The short answer is yes. However, I will need more facts about the case to determine what the appropriate steps you should take. There are many instances where you can recover for injuries sustained at a friend or relatives home. I suggest you immediately speak with an attorney who can properly examine the circumstances surrounding your case.

Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/26/2011

Answer By Ray Critchett
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
Contact this Attorney Now

If your friend has a home owner's insurance policy and/or a renter's insurance policy, it may have a provision for medical payments coverage which would help you. The best part of medical payments coverage is that it applies regardless of who was at fault.

Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 8/26/2011

The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.
Contact this Attorney Now

There is a good chance your friend's homeowner's insurance policy has a no-fault provision allowing a certain amount of money for medical bills. In English, this means you might have access to $5K or so to put towards medical bills regardless of whether the fall was your fault or not. Give you friend's insurance company a call to find out. If the accident was not your fault, and the dog or some other hazard caused you to fall, then you should probably speak to a lawyer before contacting the insurance company.

Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 8/26/2011

Answer By Patrick M Lamar
Patrick M Lamar Attorney
Contact this Attorney Now

Probably not very much. I would check and see if my friend has a medical pay portion on his homeowner's policy.

Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 8/26/2011

Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Contact this Attorney Now

If your friend did nothing wrong, why would you expect him to pay your bills? If he has medical payments coverage on his home perhaps your bills can be paid to the extent of the coverage

Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 8/26/2011

Answer By Steven Dunnings
Dunnings Law Firm
Contact this Attorney Now

does your friend own the home or just renting? If he had homeowners insurance, find out the name of the company or his agent and contact them to file a claim. Otherwise, you will have to sue the homeowner.

Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/26/2011

Law Offices of Earl K. Straight
Contact this Attorney Now

You can make a claim against your friends homeowners insurance, but youll need to prove that the fall was your friends fault. If you cant prove that the insurance company will deny your claim.

Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/26/2011

Answer By James P Kelaher
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
Contact this Attorney Now

In most cases the homeowner's insurance on your friend's house will have medical payments coverage which will cover you for medical bills up to the medpay coverage limit (frequently $5,000). If you had surgery, chances are that the med pay coverage won't pay all the bills, but if you tripped over the dog because it ran in front of you, then the homeowner's insurance may pay the rest under the liability portion of the policy. If you tripped and fell simply because you were a klutz (forgive me!) and not because the dog did something unexpected, then you're probably limited to the medical payments coverage...

Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/26/2011

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | IB Cookie Policy