Can I get full custody if my wife doesn’t have a job? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I get full custody if my wife doesn’t have a job?

Can I get full custody if my wife doesn't have a job?

Answer By William Reed
William Reed

Custody has to do with fitness as a parent. Lack of employment is only one consideration.

Vermeulen Law office P.A.

Whether your wife has a job or not is not the deciding factor in determining physical or legal custody. The laws in each state are somewhat different on this issue. In Minnesota, where I practice, there are several factors which affect the custody decision. I strongly suggest that you consult an attorney in your area who is experienced with divorce cases.

Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law

Her employment situation could be one of many factors that the court would look at to determine if it would be in the best interests of the child to live with you or her.

Answer By James Lentz
Law Office of James Lentz

Whether your wife has a job has nothing to do with an award of full custody. The laws vary state by state, but full custody is very rare today. Contact a local domestic relations attorney for further information.

Gresham Family & Bankruptcy Law

Legal custody of children is based on the "best interest" of your children. This is determined by many factors one of which is the role of the primary caregiver. It may be possible for you to get legal custody, but it will depend on your actual circumstances not just whether you work or not. Good luck.

Employment isn't a prerequisite to getting child custody. Being a good parent is.

Answer By Kollin Rice
Rice & Co., LPA

Your wife's unemployment may make her more available for child care, which probably means that she has been the primary care giver to the children during the marriage. Both of these factors would probably increase her chances of being awarded custody. Unemployment is rarely a large factor to be held against a person in a custody dispute. Nevertheless, each case is unique, and it is possible that in your case you would still be able to be awarded custody.

Answer By Richard Goolsby

You have not provided sufficient facts in your question. In other words, the court would likely consider a whole range of facts and factors in making a custody determination and that one fact alone would not, in my opinion, necessarily be controlling. You should retain a divorce attorney in your community to discuss all the facts. Good luck!

Answer By Michael Rose
Michael Rose Attorney at Law

Do you mean that she is home to take care of the children? Child support helps with the "no job." income. California like 2 parents to take care of the children.

Answer By Roy L. Reeves

Whether or not she has a job is only one factor for the court to consider. The ultimate decision rest on what is best for the kids. So the answer depends on the other facts.