Can I get a felony expungement for a concealed weapon charge? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I get a felony expungement for a concealed weapon charge?

I need a felony expungment so I can get a real job. I was carrying a concealed weapon. No harm was done.

I would consult with counsel in my area. In Mobile, the odds are extremely low due to local history. Depending on your jurisdiction, odds could be better. You could attempt a pardon through the board of pardons and paroles, but their website states the odds are extremely low. Stay well.

Answer By Kevin Smith
Kevin Smith, Attorney at Law

You should be eligible to apply for a provisional pardon, which is designed for employment purposes. However, you would be wise to consult with an attorney experienced in the pardon and expungement process, as the proper presentation of your application is critical to its success, particularly as it relates to gun charges.

This type of charge is usually allowed to be expunged. Each State has their own laws concerning expungement, so you must consult the State statutes to see if you are eligible.

Answer By B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones

The key to whether or not you can get a charge expunged is whether or not the Court adjudicated you guilty of the offense. If the Court withheld adjudication then you can try to get the charge expunged. A current criminal background check will have to be done and there is a charge for that. Most people typically hire an attorney to get the expungement just to make sure everything is done correctly. If you are interested in pursuing this further, and your case was in the Tampa Bay area, please contact my office so that we can speak further.

Answer By Michael Brodsky
Law Office of Michael Brodsky

In the State of Washington, a person may "vacate" a felony after 5 or 10 years (depending on what level felony it is) have elapsed since fulfillment of legal and financial obligations including incarceration, probation, fines and fees. The person must also have had no new convictions or pending charges. Please note that this is not legal advice and does *not* create an attorney-client relationship. This post represents only the posters opinion. You should speak to an attorney for further information. The poster is licensed only in the State of Washington. For more information about our law firm and services, please visit our website.

Any conviction of a felony, no matter what it is, is not expungeable. in the State of Illinois. Your only recourse is to petition the Governor of the State to grant you a pardon, and that is highly unlikely.

Answer By Jared Austin

You can get any felony expunged as long as it does not have a potential life sentence or it is not a criminal sexual conduct (CSC) crime. You can only have one conviction on your record including misdemeanors, and at least five years must have passed since either the date of your conviction or your release from jail or prison.

Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre

In Oregon, where I practice, Carrying a Concealed Weapon is expungeable but it's also a misdemeanor. Apparently it's a bigger deal where you were convicted, so you would have to consult an attorney who is licensed in the jurisdiction you received the conviction in. If it did occur in Oregon you could apply to have it expunged three years after the conviction, assuming you haven't picked up any convictions ten years prior to this conviction or anything since you got this conviction.

Answer By Seth J. Bloom
Bloom Legal, LLC

This depends upon the current disposition of your sentence. If you were placed on probation you will need to have completed all of the terms of your probation. It will also depend upon the statute under which you were convicted - certain convictions cannot be expunged while others essentially suspend themselves until you complete probation and can then have them expunged. If you are seeking assistance in Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm to provide us with more information so that we may better answer your question.

There is no expungement law in the State of Alabama. There is an expungement bill pending in the Alabama legislature. Whether is will pass this year or not remains to be seen.