Can I get charged for burglary for pawning my ex boyfriend's TV? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I get charged for burglary for pawning my ex boyfriend's TV?

My boyfriend and I recently broke up. I told him to come get his stuff that night. He didn't show up so I put his clothes outside and pawned his TV. Now he's saying he filed against me and I'll be getting four counts of burglary. Can that happen? I don't think he even has proof of purchase.

Possibly. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, elocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.

He can ask the police to arrest you for burglary, but he cannot tell the police to arrest you for burglary.

I would think that in the situation that you have described it would be more of a civil matter. He could file a charge against you but you did not commit burglary. You Should not have sold his TV but i doubt it rises to a criminal offense. Why not just pay him the value of it and he can replace it. It is really a civil and not a criminal matter.

Answer By Jared Austin

From the sound of things this happened in your home which if true, would preclude burglary charges since you can't really break and enter into your own dwelling. He could, however, pursue larceny charges which basically means that you took something of his without his permission with the intention of never returning it. Those types of cases happen a lot. Part of the prosecutor's burden of proof would be establishing his ownership of the items. While you can bring up as a defense that he has no proof of purchase, that may not be necessary as they could offer proof in other ways such as photographs or testimony. In the end, it would be up to the jury to decide who they believe and if they are convinced beyond all reasonable doubt. You need to speak with a criminal lawyer, especially if charges are filed.

I do not see facts supporting charge for Brooklyn.

Well you won't be charged with burglary which involves breaking into a building but larceny by conversion. Get it back and give it to him. It was not yours to pawn.

Answer By Randy M. Lish

You could be charged if the police believe you took the TV. The prosecution may not get a conviction for burglary, but they could get a conviction for possession of stolen property.

Answer By Sally Hamblin

Not sure where four counts come into play based on your information. You pawned an item not yours. You did not give him reasonable time to pick up his things. You used poor judgment, which could result in theft or police claiming it is a civil matter. One would look at if you paid for the TV, too.

Answer By John J. Carney
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.

You are guilty of conversion, a civil tort and can be sued. You were supposed to hold his property until he picked it up and give him a reasonable amount of time to do so. It is probably not a crime to put his property outside, but it was a crime to pawn his TV and the crime might be Petty Larceny or Grand Larceny if the TV is worth more than $1,000. The pawn shop should have asked you if you owned the TV and kept it for 30 days before they put it out in the store.

Patrick Earl Attorney

You need an experienced criminal defense attorney. Are these cases from WA state? I handle all types of criminal offense throughout Eastern WA state so if you need me contact me.