Can I get arrested if drugs are found in my repossessed car? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I get arrested if drugs are found in my repossessed car?

My car was repossessed and I had left a marijuana joint in the ash tray. Can I be arrested for this?

Yes, but you probably will not be arrested, because the police cannot prove that someone else did not leave marijuana in the vehicle

Answer By Michael Moody
Law Office of Michael Moody

Yes you can be arrested. However, it would be an extremely weak case against you in my opinion since obviously other people have had access to your car since the repossession, like the repo man. Probable cause to arrest is a much less than proving guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Answer By Richard Goolsby

I am Richard Goolsby, Goolsby Law Firm, LLC, Augusta, GA. I would recommend that you retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to advise you as to your rights and option, because it would appear that there is a possibility that you could be charged. Good luck!