Can I file a lawsuit against a police officer for excessive force and police brutality? - Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I file a lawsuit against a police officer for excessive force and police brutality?

I was punched in the face by a police officer for allegedly pushing the officer which I never did and now my eye is swollen shut black, and I had to get stitches. I already have filed a complaint with the police department against the officer for excessive force and police brutality, but I would also like to file a law suit is that possible?

Answer By Timothy Jones
Timothy Jones, Attorney at Law

Yes

Answer By Shawn M. Murray
The Law Firm of Shawn M. Murray

It is. It's called a Section 1983 action which would be brought in federal court for violation of your civil rights "under color of law." It is important that you be sure to take numerous, hi-resolution pictures of your injuries.

Answer By David Hoines
David Hoines Law

these are tough caseswere you arrested? if so, you must found not guilty of criminal case

Vincent J. Bernabei LLC

If you were the victim of police brutality, then you can file a civil lawsuit against the officer and the department to recover damages. Because you have a claim against a governmental agency, you must give notice of your intent to pursue the claim within 180 days of the incident.

The answer is "sure". Police are bad for lying where abuse is concerned so be very careful.

Answer By Eddie W. Wilson
Wilson & Hajek, LLC

Yes, but hard to win unless you have some corroborating evidence such as a video.

You can. However, these cases are hard to win. It often comes down to your word against the officer. He will probably state facts that would make his hitting you justified to defend himself. You probably need some evidence to corroborate tht he was the aggressor besides your own testimony.

Answer By Patrick M Lamar
Patrick M Lamar Attorney

Yes, a lawsuit is a possibility. However, these cases are extremely difficult to win due to the number of immunities and semi-immunities officers are provided. See a lawyer who has handled a number of these type of cases in the past.

Answer By James P Kelaher

Yes, but you will probably have difficulty finding an attorney to handle it.

Answer By Jared Altman

Yes. You can file a lawsuit. I suggest that you hire a lawyer immediately because you must file a notice of claim within ninety days of the occurrence. Don't delay! J