Can I file for bankruptcy if I dont have complete financial records? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I file for bankruptcy if I dont have complete financial records?

I am filing for bankruptcy and I dont have all the creditor information. Where should I go to get this information and is it even necessary for me to have all financial records available? I may not want to report every creditor, but am I legally obligated to put down everything on my file?

you are required to schedule all your creditors and make sure they are accurate.

Answer By Eric Lewis

You have to list all known creditors in your bankruptcy petition. If you haven't already, you should obtain a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting bureaus to check and make sure you have everybody. Anybody not listed in an "asset case" chapter 7 or chapter 13 will not be subject to the discharge.

Answer By Alan D. Walton
Breckenridge and Walton

You are required to disclose ALL debt, whether you want to or not. How is it that you do not know who you owe money to?

Answer By Bill Zurinskas
Bankruptcy Law Center

You are required by law to list all known creditors in your bankruptcy. If you don't know who your creditors are, get your free annual credit report from Experian, TransUnion & Equifax at anualcreditreport.com. Bankruptcy discharges can be denied or revoked if you fail to keep important records .

Cartwright Law Firm

It is very important to keep good financial records if you are contemplating in filing for bankruptcy. It will make the bankruptcy process go much smoother for you. You are required by law to list every creditor that you owe. If you have not know all your creditors, I would recommend that you start by pulling your creditor reports. There are three major bureaus: Experian, Equifax & Transunion. This would be a good starting point. This is the only website that you can go to to obtain a free creditor report. In addition, you need to start keeping any and all letters/info you receive in the mail from your creditors. Get yourself a folder and start putting everything in the folder to take to your bankruptcy attorney because the more organized you are when you see the attorney the sooner your case can be filed.

Answer By Janet Lawson

The law requires you to list all of your debts. Start with a credit report. Most companies can be found on the Internet now. Do the best you can.

Answer By Eric Benzer
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law

No

Answer By Lewis P. Adams
Lewis Adams and Associates

The Bankruptcy Code requires that you disclose all of your assets and all of your creditors. It is up to you to provide the information necessary to complete the petition, statements and schedules. However, our office will obtain copies of all three of your creditor reports to assist in filling in the blanks. Unfortunely, not all creditors report to the credit bureaus and the list may be incomplete by itself. If you fail to disclose a creditor, that creditor may not be affected by the discharge.

Ursula G. Barrios Law

An good attorney will guide you on gathering financial records.

Answer By David VanDyke
Bird & VanDyke, Inc.

You must use due diligence in listing ALL your creditors. I use a 3 bureau credit report