Can I file for bankruptcy if I am only 18 years old? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I file for bankruptcy if I am only 18 years old?

My parents don't help me with my bills. I am completely independent. I pay for my own rent, bills, car payments etc. Can I file for bankruptcy at this age? I don't know what my other options are here.

Answer By Alan D. Walton
Breckenridge and Walton

Answer By Mark Alonso
Financial Relief Law Center

You can file bankruptcy at age 18, but I would questions as to what you have incurred already that would require you to need the assistance/ protection of the bankruptcy code. Do you have medical, credit card or other unsecured debt such as utility bills that have gone unpaid? Are you working? I would suggest contacting an attorney who can do an initial consultation for you to explore what options are have. There isn't a rule stopping you from filing bankruptcy at this age, but it's important to make sure you have explored all of your options first, which may include debt settlement, but that would require you to have funds to settle your debt. You may want to also consider debt consolidation, but of course, all of these options will depend on what your overall situation is and how much debt/ income you have to work with.

Answer By Dan Wilson
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy

Yes but you may want to consider other options because you are so young. You will need your credit to get a car loan, house, student loans in the future.

Answer By Joseph W. Lehn
Lehn Law, PA

At 18 years old you can file for bankruptcy.

Answer By Lehn Law, PA
Joseph Lehn, Esq

Answer By Eric Benzer
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law

Answer By Janet Lawson

It is hard to believe that at 18 you have bills sufficient to warrant filing for bankruptcy. You can't legally sign a contract until you are 18 years old. I suggest you see a lawyer (free consultation) about your situation. Technically, yes you can file, but how in the world did you get in debt at your age?

Answer By Rose Clayton

Yes, you can file for bankruptcy at age 18. A filing will remain on your credit report for up to 10 years and you will not be able to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy again for 8 years. If your debt is substantial, then bankruptcy may be a good option. After you file, it will take you about 2 years to rebuild your credit. If you want to keep your car, your car payment won't be affected by the filing. You will keep paying the car payment. You will also keep paying your everyday bills (rent, insurance, etc), only the unsecured debt (credit cards, personal loans, medical bills, etc) will be discharged in the bankruptcy.

Answer By Bill Zurinskas
Bankruptcy Law Center

Yes. With credit so easily available, it is possible to get buried in debt at eighteen years of age.