Can I file a collision claim after an auto accident if I don't have insurance but it was not my fault? - Auto Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I file a collision claim after an auto accident if I don't have insurance but it was not my fault?

I was rear ended yesterday. I do not have a drivers license or auto insurance. I was not at fault. Can I still file an auto claim to their insurance company? I also had to be seen for neck and back pain yesterday at urgent care. Can their insurance still be liable?

Answer By Arthur K. Aiken

In South Carolina, you can still pursue a personal injury claim even though you have no license and no insurance.

Answer By Joshua J. Nolan

Yes, you can still file a claim against the other driver's auto insurance. Your failure to maintain a driver's license or proper insurance does not automatically eliminate your claim. However, you may face criminal charges for driving without a license or insurance.

You have a personal injury issue, but the liability regarding the driver of the other vehicle may not be 100-percent because of your circumstances.

Yes, you can still file a claim, and yes, their insurance will still be liable for any injuries that you suffered.

Answer By Jeffrey Lapin
Lapin Law Offices

The answer to your question about whether you can still file a claim for your injuries and damages even though you did have a driver's license or automobile insurance, is "yes you can." There may be traffic or criminal charges that you will have to deal with due to not having a driver's license or insurance. However, these items do not affect your claim against the at-fault driver or insurer.

Answer By Alvin Lundgren

You can sue the perpetrator directly.

Answer By Paul A. Samakow
The Law Offices of Paul A. Samakow, P.C.

You do not have to have insurance or a driver's license to make a claim against someone who hit you. So yes, you can file a claim.

Answer By Dennis P. Mikko

Michigan is a no-fault automobile insurance state. As such, you are responsible for insuring your own vehicle. There is one exception called the "mini-tort" exception. Under the mini-tort, you could claim up to $500 if you were not at fault. However, in order to use the mini-tort exception, you would have to be able to prove that you had insurance on your vehicle at the time of the accident. Under Michigan no-fault, if you do not have insurance, one penalty is you cannot use the insurance law to seek relief. Your medical claim may be another story. If you did not have insurance, then they would look to others in your home that might have insurance and if none was found there may look to the other driver's policy. Make sure the medical providers are aware that the injury was the result of an automobile accident.