Can I convert a K1 immigration visa to a H1 or a F1? - Immigration Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I convert a K1 immigration visa to a H1 or a F1?

I came to US 3 months ago on K-1, but it doesn't look like relationship is going to work out. Is it possible that I can convert my visa to F-1 if I get admission to univ., or H-1, if I have a work sponsor. Can I do this without having to leave US and return. Please advice.

Oltarsh and Associates, PC

You cannot convert a K visa to another visa. It only allows you to enter and then marry and get residence through that husband. If you are eligible for an H-1B, you could pick it up at home if you have not been here illegally.

Answer By Reza Athari

No. K visas are easy to get but may not change to other categories. But you may do it by going back to your country.

Answer By Aime Katambwe

Technically it looks like you should but I am afraid you cannot since the K-1 is petitioner specific. You allowed passage to the Us only for the purpose of marrying your intended within 90-days. You cannot switch to another purpose or fianc(e). Good luck! Aime M. Katambwe, Esq. WorldEsquire Law Firm 25050 Avenue Kearny, Suite 111

Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law

You can unfortunately not change your status to any other visa category or even extend it if you entered the U.S. on a K-1 visa. Your status allows you only to adjust your status to one of a permanent resident based on a marriage to the person who petitioned you for the K visa.

Answer By Nicklaus Misiti
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.

No you can only marry the person who petitioned for you, file for asylum, or leave the country. If you remain in the country without a lawful status for 180 or more you will be barred from returning for 3 years, if you remain longer than a year you will be barred for 10 years.

Answer By William D. Fong

You cannot change status or adjust status if you entered as a K-1 fiancee. If the relationship is not progressing to marriage, you should leave the US before the expiration of your I-94.