Can I buy a handgun in California if I have a wet reckless and no other record? - Criminal Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I buy a handgun in California if I have a wet reckless and no other record?

I live in California, and I have a wet reckless. I wasn't even inside the car, but the officer gave me a breathalyzer. I blew a .12. It was settled out of court with a wet reckless. Will this stop me from buying a handgun?

A wet reckless is not a bar to firearms possession.

Answer By Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert

No, only felons and persons convicted of spousal battery cannot possess a firearm. Since a wet reckless is a misdemeanor not involving domestic violence, you should be able to own and register a firearm in California. If you have other questions about this issue, please call my office.

Answer By Thomas Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller

No, it should not prevent you.

Answer By Ryan P. Murphy
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy

Yes, you can buy a handgun if you have a wet and reckless on your record. If you are currently on probation, look at the terms and conditions set by the court. You might have a problem if you are currently on probation whether informal or formal. If you are not on probation, then you should not have a problem. Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.

Answer By Phil Hache

Was not owning a handgun a term of your probation? And if so, are you still on probation? I would be surprised if this was an issue, but to b safe you should consult with the attorney who handled your Wet Reckless case to go over the terms of the sentence, or consult with an attorney in person to review your case.

If that is all that is on your record no since your gun rights have not been taken away.

Answer By Terry Nelson

Conviction of a felony and some violent misdemeanors will make you a prohibited person barred from possessing firearms or ammunition. DUI and related reduced charges do not qualify.

Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law

A wet reckless does not prohibit you from legally possessing firearms.

Answer By Thomas Ogas
Law Office of Thomas J. Ogas

This will not stop you from buying a handgun in California.