Can I be charged for forgery if I sign my husband's name on one of his checks and deposit it in my account? - Divorce Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I be charged for forgery if I sign my husband's name on one of his checks and deposit it in my account?

We have separate accounts at different banks. His account has just his name and my account has just my name. We have been living separately for two years, and consider ourselves separated.

Answer By Steven Alpers

It is possible. I don't know if this was something to pay for support or if it was another payment due to you and you had his permission. If you did not have his permission it would be theft.

Yes, you can Don't forge your husband's name on the endorsement to take his money. If you need Spousal Support, file a Divorce or Legal Separation case and seek Spousal Support by way of an RFO (Request for Order).

Answer By Frances Headley

So long as you remain married, there is no criminal penalty for signing your husband's name. It may be raised in future civil proceedings including dissolution.

Answer By Barbara Peyton

Yes you can be charged with forgery. The only name you are legally allowed to sign is your own unless you have some kind of written permission to do otherwise. Even with a power of attorney, you still sign your own name on behalf of some other person. Don't break the law.

Answer By Phyl van Ammers

This is a criminal law question and not a divorce question. You need to direct your question to a criminal law attorney.