Can I apply for my mothers green card while she is here with her B2 tourist Visa? - Immigration Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I apply for my mothers green card while she is here with her B2 tourist Visa?

My mom came last November 2010 with her Tourist Visa to help me with the born of my second baby, she got 6 months stay. Because I need she stays here longer and I am a US citizen, Can I apply for my mothers green card while she is here and How long will take all the process?

Answer By Lynne Feldman

yes you can - in most areas it will be less than six months. She will need to remain until she gets her travel permit or is approved for PR. We would be happy to assist you. Contact me as indicated below and I will send you the procedures and fees to file for her.

Pauly P.A.

As long as you are 21 years or older you can apply for an immigrant visa for your mother (form I-130) and she can apply for adjustment of status (for I-485) and remain in the US until her application is approved. However, this is a general reply and there are many additional considerations. Therefore, you should consult with an immigration lawyer before you apply in order to be fully informed.

Answer By Marie Michaud
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law

Yes, your can file for your mom. If the paperwork is done in one step and correctly done, it normally takes 3-4 months. Good luck.

Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law

Yes, since you are a US citizen, you can apply for your mother's green card and to adjust her status at the same time, while she is still in the
United States. Do it right away, since her stay under the B1/B2 visa is limited to six months. You may also have to ask for an extension of her B1/B2 status.

Once you have filed for the green card, it often takes at least eight months to process.

This answer applies to immigration law in all fifty states.

Yes you may petition your mother and she may apply to adjust her status. Processing times vary depending on where she lives, but in the Los Angeles area it takes about 4-6 months.

Answer By Linda Liang

Yes you can.