Can I apply for a green card for my second wife? - Immigration Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I apply for a green card for my second wife?

I am a US citizen. If I got my first foreign wife a permanent green card and then we divorced, can I get my second foreign wife a green card as well? Or will they think I'm in the business of getting people green cards and not allow it?

Lana Kurilova Rich PLLC

They will certainly look more closely at your second application to verify the genuine nature of your relationship and confirm that there is no marriage fraud. It is ok for a person to get married more than once in their lifetime; it is not ok to marry for the wrong reasons, so the job of the immigration is to make sure that this is a legitimate marriage.

Mulder Law office, PA

Read the instructions to the forms carefully. They address this issue.

Answer By Reza Athari

If your marriage is bona fide, yes.

Answer By Alexander Segal

If your past and current marriages were entered into in good faith you should have no issue. You may be required to submit evidence to show both marriages were entered into in good faith.

Answer By Joel Fenton
Law Offices of Joel E. Fenton, PLC

You will be examined very closely by INS on any subsequent K-1 visa after the first one. It's likely that your first marriage and divorce will be checked out thoroughly, including the grounds for divorce, the timeline of when your first spouse came to the country and when the separation and/or divorce occurred, in order for marriage fraud to be ruled out. There are provisions in the law that require you to ask for a specific waiver for marriages of this type after the first one. You should seek the advice of a good immigration lawyer to help you get through this minefield, as the consequences of a finding of marriage fraud can have serious immigration consequences.

Answer Applies to: Iowa