Can a doctror deny a visit if you filed against him? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can a doctror deny a visit if you filed against him?

When we filed bankruptcy it included our doctor we owe $1,500.00. We said we would continue to make payments but they said they want half (which we do not have). I guess what I want to know is: Can they deny an office visit (every 6 month blood test)? Can't we just continue to make payments to him and not have to pay half? She said they write off a bankruptcy, and probably at tax time they get some break, but still if we are willing to make monthly payments why is that not good enough? I don't want my husband not to have access to him if we show up as a bankruptcy on their file.

Answer By Mark Markus

Your doctor can do whatever they want. Bankruptcy courts can't force them to see you as a patient, if that's what you're asking.

Law Office of Maureen O' Malley

This is really 2 questions. First, the doctor cannot expect, demand, or request any payment from you. You may pay voluntarily, but if you were my client I'd recommend against out because the debt is so high. Second, the doctor could refuse to treat or you could agree to pay him the new charges after each future visit.

Answer By Janet Lawson

Is this doctor assigned to you by your insurance company? If so I would take it up the the administrator of your health plan. You may have to get a new doctor if you pay for him or her privately. This may also be a violation of the discharge injunction. You should consult with a local lawyer.

Answer By Gary Lee Lane
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).

Unless emergency, which this is not, doctor can deny you.

Greifendorff Law Offices, PC

If the debt was discharged in bankruptcy and the doctor refuses to treat the patient until the debt is paid, then the doctor is attempting to collect on a debt discharged in bankruptcy in violation of the discharge injunction preventing them from doing this. However, the doctor can refuse treatment if you don't pay for services at the doctors visit. So, the doc can say, Hey, we need payment in full for today's visit. They can never collect on that old debt though.

A professional such as a doctor can deny service after a bankruptcy in the absence of a mutual agreement such as a reaffirmation.

Daniel Hoarfrost, Attorney at Law

A doctor is not obligated to treat you after a bankruptcy.

Answer By Abel Fernandez

A private business, including a doctor, can refuse service to anyone they want. So, yes, they can deny to see you.

Answer By David VanDyke
Bird & VanDyke, Inc.

A doctor is nothing more than an individual who is selling a service. He or she can provide these services to anyone they want. They can also withhold their services from anyone they want as long as it is not for an illegal purpose. Eg. Discrimination based on race, sex etc.

Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson

Yes, the doctor can refuse to continue to treat you or your husband. A doctor's office is not generally legally obligated to take anyone they don't want to. The doctor has already lost $1500, if they would rather cut their losses than do a payment plan with you, that is up to them. Your bankruptcy discharged the debt so they cannot try and go after you for repayment, but they also do not have to see you any longer.