Can a child at the age of 17 years old move out of her parents house? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can a child at the age of 17 years old move out of her parents house?

My kid was telling me she could move out of house at 17 years old. Is this true?

Answer By Tina Fox
Fox Law Firm LLC

You are responsible for the child until she is emancipated, which in IL the the term emancipation shall be defined as the occurrence of the first of the following events: (a) a child's marriage; (b) a child's 18th birthday or graduation from high school, whichever is last to occur, (c) a child maintaining a full-time residence outside the home of the parent having the residential custody of him/her, exclusive of a child's residence at a secondary boarding school, camp, or similar facility; (d) a child's obtaining full-time employment , exclusive of employment during school vacation periods;(e) a child's induction in the armed services of the United States or the National Guard; or (f) a child's death.

Answer By Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein

No, technically it is 18. However, I doubt that the sheriff or constable will do anything. If you have any questions, call your local sheriff and/or constable's office and ask their opinion. You can also call CPS but I don't think they will get involved because they are overwhelmed with small children in crisis situations. However, the 17 yr. old can leave the house with the clothes on his/her back. Everything belongs to you unless the 17 yr. old inherited it or received it as a gift. That means the furniture, clothes, cell phone, computer, car, etc. belongs to you. You can call the sheriff or constable and make sure that the 17 yr. old leaves your home peacefully without an incident. You can ask their opinion about what the 17 yr. old can leave with. I do recommend that you re-key your home, change your alarm code. I have had many clients homes get broken into within 6 months by "friends" of the 17 yr, old looking for money and electronics. So hide your money and make sure your insurance policy is current. Remove all "hidden" keys outside. Hide where you keep your spare car keys.

Answer By Anne B. Howard

When child is an adult 18, she can move out. If she moves at 17 she's a run away unless she's emancipated and can do what she wants.

Answer By Sally Hamblin

In Michigan the age of majority is 18.

Answer By Rebekah Sass
Law Office of Rebekah Sass

The legal age of majority is 18. Parents have a responsibility to provide for their children until 18. Unless of course your child is emancipated, such as being on active duty in the military or married.

No. She has to be 18.

Answer By Abel Fernandez

Well, the child is still a minor. So, technically no.

Answer By Erin Farley
The Law Office of Erin Farley

If she is emancipated; otherwise, you are responsible for providing a safe and secure home for your child until she is 18.

Answer By John Smitten

No. not while a minor.

Answer By Elliott D. Yug

Legally no, realistically yes.