Can bankruptcy remove my credit card debt? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can bankruptcy remove my credit card debt?

I am a 63 year old senior and owe almost $10,000 to credit card companies. Now collection agency wants to recover. My total monthly income is $1,392, all of which is Soc. Sec. & Army Disability Pension. No other income. Only asset is my van.

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

Yes, bankruptcy will eliminate the credit card debt and allow you to keep your van. Given your income and amount of debt, filing Chapter 7 would be a good solution.

BK will discharge your CC debt. It sounds like you're judgment proof if your only income is SSI though.

Answer By Lehn Law, PA
Joseph Lehn, Esq

Bankruptcy will eliminate your legal obligation to pay your credit card debt. It appears that based on your income you would qualify for a Chapter 7 petition. You may wish to discuss with an attorney the exemptions applicable and the value of your van to determine if you would be an asset case.

Ross Smith, Attorney at Law

Yes, a bankruptcy can remove your credit card debt. But get good advice before you you choose to a bankruptcy. It souhnds to me like you may be judgment proof. That is, you may have no assets that a creditor can seize to pay your debts. If that is true, then perhaps the only reason to file a bankruptcy is to stop the creditors from calling you. A good attorney can sometimes fix that problem without filing a bankruptcy. Good luck. Thank you for reading me. I hope you found this answer to be helpful. This answer is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is general information that should be discussed with your own attorney. Because the law in other jurisdictions is different and the facts of each case are different, consumers cannot rely on the opinions expressed here.

Answer By Asaph Abrams
Law Office of Asaph Abrams

You betcha (in most cases such as yours, but retain counsel to ensure no surprises and red flags).

Grasso Law Group

Based on the information you provided, you should be able to file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and have your credit card debt discharged.

Answer By Bill Zurinskas
Bankruptcy Law Center

Yes, bankruptcy can remove credit card debt.

Answer By Mengjun Qiu
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu

As of now you're pretty much judgment proof, you don't need bankruptcy. What that means is that all your income is exempt by Florida law, nobody can touch it, even if they get a judgment against you, there is nothing they can do. The only thing they could put a lien on is your van and other non-exempt assets. And if the debt is jointly owed with someone else, then the other person would still be liable. I would recommend you go to the court dates when the collection agencies sue you, however, because the judge might hold you in contempt of court if you don't show.

Yes, Bankruptcy is a good way to eliminate credit card debt and give you a fresh start.

Answer By Sheryl S. Graf
Law Offices of Sheryl S. Graf

Yes. A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could completely wipe out ALL your credit card debt. (There are a few exceptions that do not apply to most people.)