Can I file for bankruptcy on an investment property? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Can I file for bankruptcy on an investment property?

If I have several investment properties, can I just file for bankruptcy on one of them?

Answer By Alan D. Walton
Breckenridge and Walton

No. ALL property needs to be included. In order to get relief, you need to give complete disclosure.

No, you have to list all your assets and liabilities.

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

No, bankruptcy covers all debts. However, you can still keep some properties even though you filed.

Grasso Law Group

No - you have to include all your assets in your bankruptcy petition. You cannot pick and choose what to include. You would then have to look at whether you could exempt some of your property.

Answer By Tony Yuthas
G. Anthony Yuthas & Assoc.

A bankruptcy requires you to list all of your assets and all of your liabilities. This can be complicated. Discuss this with an attorney.

Answer By Bill Zurinskas
Bankruptcy Law Center

Depends on who owns the properties. If an LLC or Corporation or other legal entity owns only the one problem property, then that entity may file bankruptcy and only the problem property will be affected, but problems may arise if you are jointly liable on the problem property debt. If you own all the investment properties personally, your personal bankruptcy involves ALL your debts and ALL of your property.

Answer By Geoff Morris
The Morris Law Group

It sounds like that you have an investment property that is upside down and you want to walk away from it. It also sounds like you have some other properties that might have equity. You are going to need to talk to an attorney in order to determine if bankruptcy is right for you.

Answer By Stephen Trezza
AZ Law Group of Trezza & Associates

No. All assets and liabilities must be included in a bankruptcy.

Answer By Katie M. Stone
The Law Offices of Katie M. Stone

When you file a bankruptcy, you have to list everyone that you owe money too and all of your assets. Therefore, you would have to list all of your investment properties in your petition. It does not mean that you will lose all of your properties, but you do have to list them. I highly suggest that you speak with an attorney before you file a bankruptcy. If you have properties that have equity or are income producing, you need to make sure they are listed correctly. Also, if you file a chapter 7 and have un-exempt equity in a property, you may lose that property in the bankruptcy. I hope you found this information useful.

Charles Schneider, P.C.

No all assets must be listed in a bankruptcy, however this may not mean you will lose the property.