At what age can a child decide what parent to live with in Florida? - Child Custody Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

At what age can a child decide what parent to live with in Florida?

Ex telling me 14 years so he won’t let me pick them up.

Answer By Maria C. Tebano
Tebano & Associates, PLLC

The child does not get to decide which parent they want to live with. The standard is best interests of the child. The child's preference is only a factor that the court considers. A judge will listen to the preference of a mature 14 year old.

Answer By Sally Hamblin

I do not know Florida law. It is always up to the court to decide. Some judge may agree to nine years old another younger or older. It all depends on the child and the judge. Not the parent, generally.

Answer By Joanna Mitchell
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.

There is no age in the State of Florida where a child can choose where they want to live (except for when they turn 18, of course).

Woods, May & Matlock, PC

The child's decision does not control the judge's decision. At age 14, the child may request to speak with the judge. I suggest you hire a lawyer.