Are the table of contents of a textbook protected by copyright? - Patent Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Are the table of contents of a textbook protected by copyright?

Let's say I have a website which lists the following information on certain textbooks without any relationship or agreement with the publisher:Name of book, Author, Picture of cover, Full table of contents. Intuitively, it seems clear that the first three should not be a problem, as any online bookseller lists these. But what about the table of contents? Can I reproduce it freely, or is it protected by copyright just like the rest of the book?

Answer By Ak Shaf
Intellectual Property Center, LLC

I would suggest contacting an attorney. Generally, an author can have a copyright in the work created, including the text, graphics and organization. Your use may be including copyrightable elements which without permission may subject you to liability for copyright infringement.

Answer By Hasse & Nesbitt
DANIEL NESBITT

The Table of Contents of a book would seem to qualify for copyright protection, though on-line book sellers make the table of contents available.

Answer By Maurice Ross

In my view, listing the full table of contents could be deemed copyright infringement. Note, however, that many on-line booksellers list full table of contents