Am I eligible to file for a bankruptcy? - Bankruptcy Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Am I eligible to file for a bankruptcy?

I am struggling to pay rent, my car payments and credit card bills. I have a job, but I feel like I am overwhelmed with expenses and can barely get by each month. What are my options?

Answer By Joseph Iarussi
Advanced Litigation Services

Depending on your income you will probably be eligible for a chapter 7.This will be a way to discharge all your debts.

You may be eligible to file Bankruptcy however, struggling to pay your bills may not be enough to file. Whether you have filed before, your income, and your amount of debt may all be evaluated in determining if you can file. You should speak with a bankruptcy attorney to evaluate your options.

Answer By Mark Alonso
Financial Relief Law Center

Ch. 7 Bankruptcy sounds like it's a good option for you. In order to qualify, you would need to see if your income is equal to or less than the average income for an earner in CA. Even if that doesn't work, you may still be able to file if you can pass the means test. Filing for this chapter of bankruptcy will wipe out your unsecured debt and any debt attached to a property that you no longer retained. It is also possible to keep some of your property in a bankruptcy. Other options include settling the debt, but this requires you to be able to save funds or bring in funds (from some source, 401K, family member) to settle the debt. Other options include debt consolidation or just contacting your creditors to see if they can put you on payment plan of some type. Depending on your situation, you may want to contact an attorney to go over your specifics..bankruptcy will probably cost you less in the long run.

Answer By Kevin Heupel
Heupel Law

Your options depend on the type of debt, your income, and assets. If your debt is more than 33% of your gross income, then you'll never pay the debt off and should consider bankruptcy. My firm offers free consultations and we can provide you the information you need in order to determine whether bankruptcy is a good option. Please call to schedule your free consultation.

Answer By Gary Lee Lane
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).

YES YOU ARE

Answer By Bill Zurinskas
Bankruptcy Law Center

Eligibility for bankruptcy in Colorado depends on whether you have filed bankruptcy before. Assuming you received discharge in the prior chapter 7 bankruptcy, you can file chapter 7 bankruptcy every eight years. Different rules apply if you are filing chapter 13 bankruptcy or if the prior bankruptcy was a chapter 13. Chapter 7 bankruptcy is generally the preferred bankruptcy option, but if your family gross income is over the median gross income for a your family size in Colorado, then you may not qualify for chapter 7 bankruptcy. S

Answer By Stephen Snedden
Berg & McLaughlin, Chtd.

We do a 30 minute free bankruptcy consultation if you are located in northern Idaho.

Theodore N. Stapleton, PC

In order to qualify for filing a chapter 7 you must satisfy the means test which imposes an income ceiling based on your average monthly income for the past 6 months.

Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson

Whether you are eligible for bankruptcy or not depends on many different factors, such as your income, your expenses, the type of debt you owe, etc. I would check with a bankruptcy lawyer and see what they say. Many of us do the first consultation free. Good luck!

Answer By Glen A. Kurtis
Glen A. Kurtis, P.C.

You most likely can file for bankruptcy.