Am I able, after the settlement, to submit the bills to health insurance to be paid? - Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

Am I able, after the settlement, to submit the bills to health insurance to be paid?

I settled with my car insurance on an accident claim. Auto insurance paid me already for the medical and lost wages. The medical bills were not paid by health insurance originally. They totaled $15,000.

You can certainly submit the bills. Whether health insurance will pay at this point is you and your health insurer, and depends on the claims procedure of your policy. Some policies have a time limit within which to file claims. Also, the health insurer normally has a subrogation interest in your personal injury settlement. They may refuse to pay because you did not notify them of the claim so that they could assert their subrogation interest.

Answer By John Russo

Sure if you want to be charged with insurance fraud!!!! You were compensated for Meds, and lost wages correct? You can keep the lost wages, the Med payments go to the medical providers not you, your health insurance will not pay these bills and if they did slip through you would have a big problem because now your health insurance provider would be looking to be paid back.

Send the bills to your carrier. Do not tell them anything has been paid and don't tell the carrier who paid. Either one or both may want to talk about being reimbursed.

If they find out it was from an auto accident they can refuse to pay your medical bills. Medical bills should have come out of the settlement first then attorneys fees.

Answer By Wayne J. Wimer
Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.

To the extent that you have been paid for the $15,000 of medical bills and you have not paid the same, if you now submit the bills to your health insurer and they pay the bills, the health insurer has a right to subrogation for any medical bills it pays on your behalf, i.e. you will be responsible back to your health insurer if you have been "made whole" by the settlement with your auto insurer.

Answer By Pete Leehey
Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.

You probably won't have much luck submitting medical bills to your health insurance company after you have settled your personal injury claim. Normally, health insurance will only pay medical bills from a car crash case if you agree in advance to pay your health insurance company back out of the money you settle the case for. Most health insurance policies contain language stating that damages caused by a negligent third-party are not covered by the policy. This is a detail that needs to be worked out before, not after, settlement.

Answer Applies to: Iowa

Answer By Jim Hasser

Yes you can, but your medical insurance company may want to get some or all of its money back out of the settlement.

Candiano Law Office

If the bills are more than a year old, it's too late. Not hiring an attorney may well cost you the entire settlement.

You will have to pay back health insurance if they pay them. You can't recover twice.

You cannot "double dip." If the bills were paid by the auto carrier, that is it! Additionally, your health insurer will not pay bills more than 1 year old.