After an accident, how much should I be offered for pain and suffering, outside of hospital bills? - Accident Law Questions and Answers- LawQA.com

After an accident, how much should I be offered for pain and suffering, outside of hospital bills?

Hit in crosswalk. Broke an ankle. Car has insurance.

Answer By Robert Kelly
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.

You should call us to discuss the particular details of your situation. The insurance companies are in business to gather money, so getting a fair amount of compensation for your injuries can be a job requiring extensive labor and expertise.

Magnuson Lowell P.S.

There is no formula. The amount is based on many different factors, including but not limited to the level and duration of pain, the level and duration of disability, the loss of enjoyment of life, the potential for future problems, and more. It usually makes sense for someone with serious objective injuries (such as yourself) to seek the assistance of a qualified and experienced personal injury attorney - who has the background to fairly evaluate all of these elements - and then negotiate with the insurance company (or take the matter to trial).

Pivotal Law Group, PLLC

There is no set formula for calculating pain and suffering damages. An experienced personal injury attorney can review your claim and give you at least a ballpark idea of what the likely range would be. The amount of damages awarded for pain and suffering can be affected by a number of factors. Two of the key factors are: the severity of the injury and the degree of permanency/duration/disability.